Thursday 7 April 2011

Nature thirst

I am enthralled, ecstatic and overwhelmed today as my heart leaps to the sweet music of nature. My mind is filled with the fresh imprints of nature. Good God was my mind in slumber so long as I failed to notice the ways of nature? I had gone for invigilation in the 3rd floor of my college building. With the strike of the bell as the students buried their heads into solving their paper, my idle mind felt bored at such a mundane duty. I decided to peep through the window for a change. Wow! amazing, wonderful  was my first feeling and the words of William Wordsworth had started ringing in my years- April has put a spirit of youth in everything.
Yes, I witnessed the youthfulness, the vibrancy of nature. I look at nature everyday but that is with disgust. The summer scorching sun brings a frown to my face. But today the same sun appeared with all its awe and beauty in front of me. It looked like a golden ball and the rays like the hands of Midas, which could turn anything into gold. The sun gave me a feeling of warmth, youth and rejuvenation instead of headache, trying limbs and sweat. The lush green trees and the G.T. Road in front had altogether a fresh appeal to me. With the trees nodding and swaying their heads to the ethereal notes of nature my eyes soaked in the pleasant green color of nature mixed with love and care.” To sit in the shade on a fine day and look upon the verdant green hills is the most perfect refreshment". As I stood behind the window, I had a pent up feeling. I felt more like a captive shackled and chained by the slavery of man and nature. I was unable to break free the iron rods or run down stairs to sip in the juice of freedom running in my blood. Why couldn't I run away from everything and be one with nature? I failed to answer to the beckoning of trees. The roads made me homesick. I wanted to run and put my head on my Ma's lap. The scorching sun was much more soothing and pleasant than my room with six fans. How truly did William Carlos Williams say In summer the song sings itself.
The song, the dance of nature till then went unnoticed. I did notice the proud face of nature and also realized how its ravaged mankind and society with its fury and rage. The images of Tsunami in Japan a few days back flashed in my mind. The benign face of nature can make us feel that she is very passive. But Mother Nature can make and wreck anything and everything. I never before took a philosophical look at nature. Was my idle mind responsible for such a realization? Was the idle romance about nature my homesickness? 
I really don't have an answer. Rabindranath Thakur wrote 'Nirjhorer Sopno Bhongo' one fine morning, Wordsworth wrote about Daffodils. But I am not a poet. This is not poetry. Wordsworth said that: “Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility”. May be after ten years when I remember this day my prose may turn to poetry. I may get inspiration from the Muse to write something immemorial. I don't know what will happen in future but I only want to say in tune with the saying: Each season has its joys to treasure, to lift one's spirits and bring us pleasure.






1 comment:

  1. "April is the cruelest month, breeding
    Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
    Memory and desire, stirring
    Dull roots with spring rain."

    my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete