Tuesday 26 April 2011

Friend

A friend in need is a friend indeed- aren't you aware of this proverb? Well, I know you must be thinking what crap I am exactly talking about. Is there anybody who hasn't heard of this proverb? Now my question is who is a friend?You must be even more angry and thinking have I turned into a philosopher?
Ha ha ha! no my dear friends am not a philosopher and would not like to be one. I am a bit confused about this word friend. The definition and concept of friendship has been changing and it is perhaps the most changeable word the dictionary has ever produced. Why? 
Remember the famous song from Sholay, "Ye dosti ab nahi torenge.....torenge dum agar tera sath na chorenge" Can anyone sacrifice his or her life for his/her friend in this century? Well, if you can people should buy a ticket to see you or you should be a strong contestant for the Noble prize for peace. By this time you must be thinking I don't believe in friendship or I am a typical pessimistic kind of a person. No, my dear friends. I am not at all being sarcastic at the word friend but trying to be a bit rational or realistic. The silver-screen pushes us into a world of fantasy and utopia where each and every relation is exaggerated to an unrealistic point. They talk of the impossibility of opposite gender friendship (only Bollywood) "ek ladka or ek ladkhi kabhi acche dost nehi ban sakte". Now you must be giggling after reading this line. I have laughed my heart out again and again whenever I have heard this dialogue. They come out with films like Jane tu ya Jane na to prove their point. I have number of friends of the opposite gender but never did we contemplate over this statement. Oh My God! then something seriously wrong with us because we are good friends? Again if you are very good friends of the same gender they come out with films named Dostana, Girlfriend. Then can you anyone tell me with whom are we supposed to make friendship? Someone elder to me then Oh no! It can be Nishabd or Joggers Park or even worse Choti si love story
WE are pushed into a world of conflict and chaos by the silver screen. We take their pseudo worlds to be true. I will not give any definition of friendship because a person who has one knows what it feels like to have a true friend.With the passage of time the definitions of friendship have changed like: If my friends allows me to cheat or helps me in exam he/she is my friend. Or If my friends lends me his bike for my dating he is my friend...Or if i want money and my friend gives it he/she is my friend. But the reversal of action will turn the person as your enemy or an unfaithful friend. Newton's third law is rightly applicable thus in this case every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
Have you ever been back-stabbed by your best friend? Previously I was into the notion that we have a best friend or a bestest friend. But when your so called best friend stabs your trust, your faith can you really call this person your enemy? Its really difficult to paint a villainous or fiendish  face out of the face which you thought divine. Your heart bleeds profusely and the sympathies that you get in and around your other friend circle is like the antiseptic you apply to a deep cut. Your wound is hardly healed by it. Actually "I think its a mistake to ever look for hope outside of one's self.”


1 comment:

  1. Experience my dear. that's what you've got. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete